Dean Wells bemoans Braintree Town’s luck as striker signs
BRAINTREE Town defender Dean Wells was as disappointed as his team-mates after Newport County came from a goal down to defeat Iron on Saturday.
Wells had a superb game at the back for Braintree, but he could do nothing as Ismail Yakubu ghosted in to snatch the winner, six minutes from time.
“A draw would have been a fair result,” he said.
“We dug very deep today and defended well as a unit. We were much better than at Telford, where most of us were awful.
“But when we scored, it seemed to lift them and in the last 10 minutes we were defending hard.
You may also want to watch:
“Their winner was bad marking by us and one little mistake like that has cost us. They are a good side, are unbeaten but we stood toe-to-toe with them.”
Meanwhile Iron boss Alan Devonshire wasn’t so happy about his team’s performance.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 5 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 7 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
“Yes, we gave them a game, but we lost,” he said.
“This is a results-driven business and I’d rather we played rubbish and won, than play well and lost.
“We did quite well and we were OK to a point, but we didn’t pass the ball much and played too many long balls.”
Devonshire has a few knocks ahead of tomorrow night’s game at Woking, with Sean Marks and Matt Paine doubtful.
New striker, Dan Holman, has been signed on a one-year contract for an undisclosed fee, with the option of another year.
He goes straight into the squad for the Woking game