FA Cup: Braintree Town set up Chesterfield clash; Chelmsford go out at Barnet
- Credit: cont
Braintree Town set up a home clash with League One new-boys Chesterfield at Cressing Road, following a thrilling 5-3 home victory over Southern League Premier outfit Weymouth, on Tuesday night.
Iron led 3-1 with 16 minutes to go, but their lower-league opponents levelled before the final whistle to take the game into extra time.
Jordan Cox and Simeon Akinola put Braintree two-up just before the hour but Adam Kelly reduced the arrears for the visitors on 62 minutes.
Dan Walker put Alan Devonshire’s side seemingly back in control with 16 minutes to go, but Kelly and then Stewart Yetton ensured the game went into extra-time.
Town struck three minutes into the first period of extra-time, Akinola heading home Sam Habergham’s cross, before Walker made it five in the second half to set up a tie with the Spireites in north Essex on November 8.
Meanwhile, Chelmsford City missed out on a place in the First Round Proper and a tie against Wycombe, at home, losing 4-1 at Conference Premier side Barnet.
John Akinde gave the Bees a sixth-minute lead, before David Stephens doubled the Conference Premier side’s lead.
- 1 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 2 'Ipswich will be my club for the rest of my days' - Chambers on Town return
- 3 Town closing in on deal for experienced defender Keogh
- 4 'Childhood dream' as opening date nears for Suffolk coastal restaurant
- 5 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 6 Range Rover stolen from home in east Suffolk
- 7 Buildings damaged after reports of people running on rooftops
- 8 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 9 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 10 No music after 11pm at village pub following licence review
Luke Gambin then fed Curtis Weston to make it three on the half hour, putting Martin Allen’s side firmly in control.
Joe Ward pulled a goal back for City in the second half before Luisma Villa made it four for Barnet.