Five players released from Ipswich Town
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy has told five young players that they will not be awarded new contracts in the summer.
David October, Mark Timlin, Jonathan Leddy, Tom Winter and Jordan Adekunle have all been informed they are free to find new clubs.
Adekunle signed for the Blues in August, after featuring against Town in a friendly for Crawley, but has never featured for the first-team.
The remaining quartet, including October – who has been on-loan at Histon this season, were all handed one-year professional deals last year but will not be extending their stays at Portman Road
“It’s the worst week in my season, having to tell them and explain to them why we have to let them go,” McCarthy said.
“It’s for the good of them as much as anyone else. I’ve spoken to the Academy staff, the U21s and TC. We’ve all had a say and we all agree. We’re not saying they are not going to be players. It’s just we believe it won’t be here.”
The five will continue to train at Playford Road while they look for new clubs.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Luton join race for £13k a week Walton
- 5 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
- 6 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 7 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 8 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 9 'A good team and well-coached' - Bolton boss Evatt on Town
- 10 'Dishonest to the core' burglar jailed for four years