Football Rumours: Chelsea eyeing up Radamel Falcao to replace Fernando Torres
CHELSEA are plotting a �45million swoop for Colombian superstar Radamel Falcao in the January transfer window – giving Fernando Torres just three months to prove his world-class status.
The Atl�tico Madrid striker scored 36 goals in 49 appearances for the Spanish side last season after signing from Porto for �32m in August 2011.
With Torres again failing to find the sort of form that is expected of the Spanish international – despite scoring a well-timed header in Chelsea’s League Cup demolition job over Wolves last night – Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has reportedly sanctioned the massive bid for the goal-machine.
Across the Spanish capital, reports are emerging that Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos will not be allowed to join Manchester City any time soon after he and Real manager Jose Mourinho shook hands following their recent high-profile falling out.
The 26-year-old was publicly critical of Mourinho after a La Liga defeat to Sevilla and subsequently found himself omitted from Madrid’s starting line-up for their Champions League victory over Manchester City last week.
You may also want to watch:
“I do not know if it was a punishment,” he said. “There were technical reasons.”
Back in the Premier League, Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal have all been put on alert after Russia captain and midfielder Igor Denisov was relegated to the club’s youth team by Zenit St Petersburg.
- 1 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 2 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 3 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 4 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 5 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
- 6 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 9 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 10 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
The 28-year-old had spoken out about the astronomical wages being paid to new signings Hulk and Axel Witsel, saying they were three times the rest of the squad’s.
“I could understand it if we signed Messi or Iniesta, who are worth any price,” he told Russian newspaper Sport-Express. “Are they so much better than others to earn a salary three times better?”
Elsewhere, the prospect of Steve Kean, 44, keeping his job as manager at Blackburn is getting “worse by the day”, warns director of football Shebby Singh.
Barcelona are set to reward Xavi with a new deal while Thomas Hitzlsperger is training with Everton with a view to earning a Premier League return.
Huddersfield manager Simon Grayson is considering turning 24-year-old James Vaughan’s loan from Norwich into a permanent deal, while Coventry have taken Derby midfielder James Bailey, 24, on a three-month loan.
And finally, Evo-Stik League Northern Premier side Frickley Athletic have signed an X Factor hopeful who has reached the final 24 of the TV show.
Frickley will now be hoping he does not go too far in the competition, with the show running on a Saturday night.