Football Rumours: Manchester United chase ‘new Messi’ Viktor Fischer
SIR Alex Ferguson is honing in on the “new Messi or Ronaldo” after stepping up his interest in Ajax striker Viktor Fischer – and he may only cost �5million.
According to reports in Holland the Manchester United manager is in pole position to snap up the 18-year-old, who scored 20 goals in 30 appearances for the Denmark under-17 national side.
“Fischer is special. He can be just like Messi or Ronaldo,” Denmark Under-19 coach Thomas Frank said.
Fischer has conceded he would consider a move away from the Amsterdam ArenA as he enters the final two years of his contract.
Elsewhere, Manchester City skipper Vincent Kompany has ruled out a move to Spain as he focuses on cementing his legacy at the Etihad Stadium.
The central defender insisted a big-money switch to either Real Madrid or Barcelona is not feasible because he would not be guaranteed a starting berth in either side.
“It would take me time at another club to reach the level I have achieved with City. Even then there would be no guarantee I could do it,” Kompany told The Sun.
- 1 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 2 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 5 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 6 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 7 'Selection is down to the manager' - Town CEO Ashton on Norwood's absence
- 8 Battle of the caretakers, good omens and McGreal's possible rejig... Charlton v Ipswich
- 9 Charlton boss Jackson on Bonne's 'point to prove', Addicks' interest in Pigott and Cook's sacking
- 10 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk ahead of Storm Barra's arrival
Arsenal have joined the hunt for Athletic Bilbao star forward Fernando Llorente after the Spanish hitman stalled on signing a new contract.
Llorente, who impressed last season with 30 goals in 53 games, is out of contract next summer and the club could be forced into selling him next January before he leaves for free.
The Gunners manager Arsene Wenger is believed to have held a long-term interest in the �15million rated striker, but could face a battle to sign him with Manchester City and Chelsea also tracking his contract saga.
Norwich, who still remain winless in the Premier League and have only scored once in their last three games, are set to hand a two-week trial to Ghana striker Abdul Majeed Waris,
Everton and Hamburg SV are also reportedly interested in the 21-year-old, who has netted 20 times for Swedish top-flight club BK H�cken since 2010.
Elsewhere, Fulham manager Martin Jol is weighing up a move for free agent Nigel Reo-Coker – who is training at Charlton – as a solution to his shortage of midfielders.
Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo is “optimistic” defender Ashley Cole, 31, will put pen to paper on a new deal at Stamford Bridge as he enters the final ten months of his contract.
Former Norwich boss Paul Lambert is keen to boost his Aston Villa midfield with a January move for out-of-favour Newcastle star Dan Gosling.
Simon Grayson is on the verge of bringing in Jermaine Beckford and Simon Church to Huddersfield after being promised more funds.
Former Blackburn striker Benjani, 34, is joining South African side SuperSport United having initially planned to retire.
And finally, Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham, Juventus and Liverpool are locked in a cut-throat five-way chase for new Spanish starlet Isco, the Malaga youngster who has been dubbed “the new Xisco but without the X”.