Ipswich Town legend Arnold Muhren tips Netherlands for Euro 2012 glory
FORMER Ipswich Town midfielder Arnold Muhren has tipped his homeland to repeat their European Championship success of 1988.
Muhren was part of the side that won the tournament in West Germany – and he is confident the current side can return home victorious from Poland and the Ukraine.
Town’s UEFA Cup-winner said: “They have proven themselves by reaching the (2010) World Cup with players with extra quality.
“Of course we are not alone. Spain and Germany also have good teams. It is important that we stay fit.”
Muhren believes the balance of the Dutch in 1988 was perfect, coupled with the inspired performances of Ruud Gullit and Marco van Basten.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “In 1988, we had a combination of players who all had something extra. If you want to have a good team, you need a good balance and that’s what we had.
“We had great defenders and Frank Rijkaard, who I think was the best player in the tournament. We had a midfield with everything in it and forwards who could decide matches. The team was actually a great team with different characters but also a team that was full of balance.”
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 4 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 5 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 6 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 7 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker in Cavendish
- 8 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 9 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 10 Karl Fuller: 'We should bottle the feeling of our last five days'