Jamie Guy back on the scoresheet as Braintree hammer Barrow
BRAINTREE Town ran out 4-0 winners after their 600-mile round trip to Cumbria to face Barrow.
The Iron destroyed their opponents with three first half goals, adding to the woes of a side who were mauled 7-0 last time out, at Mansfield.
Braintree took a 24th minute lead when a ball in from new loanee Billy Gibson found its way to Aswad Thomas who rifled his shot past home keeper Jack Cudworth from the edge of the box.
Four minutes later Braintree added a second when Jai Reason’s ball into the box was handled by Barrow’s Gavin Skelton and referee Seb Stockbridge awarded Iron a penalty. Reason fired home into the bottom corner.
Just before the break Iron added a third. Reason was the provider with his ball into the box finding Ben Wright who, having turned his man, drilled his shot past Cudwoth from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Although the home side pushed forward after the break, Braintree had a series of chances to add to their tally before substitute Jamie Guy, back in the side after months out with a serious leg injury, rounded off the Essex side’s day by scoring a fourth in time added on.
Sean Marks’ ball into the box found Brad Quinton who, in turn, set up Guy. His first effort was blocked, but got enough on the rebound to see the ball wrong foot Cudworth for 4-0.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 4 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 5 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 7 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 8 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 9 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 10 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey