Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- Credit: Archant Library
Since opening in 1989, the Center Parcs at Elveden near Thetford has been a favourite spot for forest breaks filled with recreational activities and relaxation opportunities.
Today we are sharing pictures of the resort in its earliest days.
The original proposal by the Dutch-based company to develop land on the outskirts of Thetford emerged in 1987.
It was predicted that the £70m investment would create 450-600 jobs and bring £8.5m to the local economy each year.
The promise of a spectacular sub-tropical swimming paradise, winding bicycle paths, sports, spas and comfortable accommodation that immersed visitors in nature wooed holidaymakers from all over the UK and beyond.
You may also want to watch:
In 2002, a devastating blaze tore through the central plaza and the resort we see today rose from the ashes left behind.
Were you one of the first guests at the Elveden Forest Center Parcs? Do you remember childhood holidays there in the 1990s?
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 5 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 6 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 7 Woman in master/slave relationship was asked to supply indecent images
- 8 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
- 9 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 10 A12 clear after two-car crash at Farnham
If so, please enjoy these photos from our archives that capture the resort in its early years.