Blooming marvels – remembering flower shows around Suffolk
- Credit: John Kerr/Archant
Flower shows are among East Anglia’s most popular events – celebrating our area’s rich horticultural heritage.
Today, we are looking back at some of Suffolk’s floral events over the years - with all kinds of colourful blooms taking centre stage, together with prize fruit and veg.
Benhall, near Saxmundham, has regularly staged a popular flower show and fete over the years.
The first-ever Benhall and Sternfield Memorial Flower Show was held in 1946, welcoming home members of the Armed Forces.
The event was cancelled last year because of Covid-19, but hopes to mark its 75th anniversary this summer.
You may also want to watch:
Also featured in our Days Gone By gallery are Felixstowe’s Fuchsia Show and events in Ipswich, Grundisburgh and Knodishall.
Do these photos bring back memories? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
To order photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Man dies following collision on A12
- 2 Cook's first press conference: New Town boss on aims, style, takeover rumours and his squad
- 3 Mouldy scone leads to bakery firm being fined £9k for hygiene breaches
- 4 New collision beams 'catching drivers out' at Suffolk's 'most bashed' bridge
- 5 A12 re-opens following serious three-vehicle crash
- 6 'I turned down jobs... Ipswich ticks every single box' - Cook on why he took the Ipswich role
- 7 'Landmark' refusal of 18 homes in Suffolk village aided by community
- 8 Horse found abandoned in field so over-bred rescuers thought she was a cow
- 9 'My talks with Marcus were totally about football' - New boss Cook on Ipswich takeover reports
- 10 'I have a clear style of play... that will be evident from day one' - Cook on Town's identity