Do you remember royal visit and World Cup fever at 2002 Suffolk Show?
- Credit: Clifford Hicks/Archant
On the day the Suffolk Show should have opened, we are looking back to the event from 2002, including a royal visit and World Cup celebrations.
In the Queen's Golden Jubilee year, the show welcomed a visit from Princess Alexandra.
The princess was delayed due to traffic gridlock, but spent more than two hours visiting the show's cattle enclosures, chatting to farmers and visiting demonstrations.
The show was extra special in 2002 because the previous year's event had been cancelled due to the foot-and-mouth outbreak.
So its return caused added excitement, just as there will be for the show's return next year.
You may also want to watch:
Unusually, the 2002 show was held on Thursday and Friday.
And there was added excitement on Friday morning when visitors were able to celebrate England's victory over Argentina in the World Cup, taking place in Japan.
To order photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 4 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 5 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 6 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 7 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 8 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 9 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 10 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case