Making a splash! Are you in Thorpeness Raft Race photos?
- Credit: Archant
Did you get out on the water for Thorpeness Raft Race during the 1970s and 80s?
In our latest Days Gone By gallery, we are looking back at the event during that era - and, if you were there, you might spot some familiar faces.
The event was one of the best-loved of the many raft races held around the area.
Pub teams took part and created their own homemade craft to do battle, with the event attracting enthusiastic crowds.
And, as the 64-acre lake is shallow, there was no need to worry about falling in during the splashing antics.
Many other fun events have also been held at the Meare over the years, with the hugely popular Thorpeness Regatta and firework display, featuring decorated boats, being everyone's favourite.
You may also want to watch:
The boating lake has reopened following easing of lockdown restrictions and is currently open every day from 8.30am to 5.30pm, with a range of Covid 19 measures in place to protect people's safety.
If these photos bring back memories, email email@example.com
To order photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 9 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 10 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains