Why I Love Suffolk: Kate Elliott
- Credit: CHARLOTTE BOND
My fondest memory is going to Christchurch Park in Ipswich with my grandparents when I was a child. I have loved gardening from an early age so I really enjoyed exploring the picturesque grounds with the sweeping lawns, wooded areas, arboretum and ponds. And visiting Christchurch Mansion - the great Tudor house steeped in history with their fabulous art collection.
Walberswick has such a lovely unspoilt sand and shingle beach and takes you right past Walberswick nature reserve which has a range of habitats including reed beds and hay meadows.
I love visiting other gardens to get inspiration and we're so lucky to have such wonderful gardens to visit here in Suffolk. Helmingham Hall, Wyken Vineyards, Fullers Mill and Henstead Exotic Garden are my favourites. I always come back full of new ideas.
Places To Eat
- 1 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 2 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 3 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 4 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 5 Town keen on Leeds left-back Davis
- 6 Suspected drink driver arrested after three cars damaged in crash
- 7 Dobra signs for Cook's Chesterfield after Ipswich departure
- 8 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 9 Woman in 30s seriously injured after crash in south Suffolk
- 10 Ed's guitar raffle pays for new Music Ark in primary school
The Great Barn restaurant at Retreat East in Hemingstone is a fabulous place to eat and offers a real foodie experience with wonderful seasonal food. They do breakfast, lunch or dinner and have an organic kitchen garden with a wild flower meadow to enjoy whilst you are eating your meal.
The Four Horseshoes at Thornham Magna is a charming 12th century thatched pub with delicious home cooked food using local produce. It has the wonderful feature of a wishing well inside the pub and they also have a few antiques and paintings for sale. It has such a warm atmosphere and the staff are so welcoming and friendly.
The Country Store at Wyken Vineyards is one of my most favourite shops in Suffolk. It is full of beautiful things and has the most fabulous book room - I could spend hours in there. They also sell their own award-winning delicious wines. I visit it often.
Without Stowupland, I wouldn't have found or be doing my dream job of head gardener at Columbine Hall - a truly special place that I utterly adore.
Saxstead Green Post Mill is a corn mill whose whole body revolves round on its base. Years ago, my grandfather made a wooden, working model of the mill which he gave to the owners as a gift. It sat in the grounds of Saxstead Mill for many years for visitors to enjoy.