Could this unusual chapel shaped like a coffin be your new home?
- Credit: Clarke & Simpson
An unusual opportunity to convert a former chapel into a new home has become available in Fressingfield near Framlingham.
The former baptist chapel, which was built by George Denny Spratt and opened in 1835, is currently listed with selling agents Clarke & Simpson at a guide price of £320,000.
Planning permission and listed building consent has been granted to convert the building into a single four-bedroom home - and if that's not enough to whet your appetite to embark on a truly one-of-a-kind project, then the unique shape of the building might.
The chapel was built in the shape of a coffin to remind people of the mortality of life. It is believed to have accommodated 700 people in its early days, with a gallery round the outside and an in-built baptistry.
The box pews and pulpit were replaced in 1912 and, years later, classrooms and a large hexagonal hall were also added.
Now the congregation is moving to a new home on School Lane, allowing the 185-year-old building to find a new lease of life as a private home.
Approved plans for the new home, designed by Gorniak & Mckechnie Ltd Architects and Designers, based in Eye, comprise an entrance hall, kitchen, utility room, dining room, living room and ground-floor bedroom and shower room. Four bedrooms, plus two shower rooms, are to be built on the first floor, as well as a study.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 5 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 6 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 7 Latitude Festival could lead to around 400 Covid cases despite jabs and tests
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 Plans for new 'ambitious' housing development moves forward
- 10 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
The property will also benefit from an integral garage and a courtyard garden.
For more information, contact Clarke & Simpson.
Fressingfield, near Framlingham
Guide price: £320,000
Clarke & Simpson, 01728 724200, www.clarkeandsimpson.co.uk