Wow factor home in wing of Georgian country house for sale for £1.75m
- Credit: Savills
Part of a substantial wing of a Georgian country house has come up for sale with Savills at a guide price of £1.75m - and it's even named after a famous Suffolk painter.
Gainsborough Wing is the oldest part of Exning House in Newmarket, which formed the central part of the sprawling 3,000-acre Exning Estate.
The original house was designed in 1734 and then later added to, after renowned architect Philip Webb was commissioned to extend it.
The Gainsborough Wing was part of the original house, and is Grade II listed. Over the years, it has been a home, a care home and now, following a comprehensive refurbishment, is the location for 10 individual residential units that are part of a gated site.
"The only way to describe the property is wow!" says Savills' property agent James Barnett. "The proportions from this period of architecture are so beautifully displayed it's a joy to show it and to see people's faces when they walk around.”
You may also want to watch:
There's no denying that the property is superbly presented, with two impressive reception halls on the ground floor and a grand sweeping staircase that features an original pendant chandelier with two lanterns.
Its principal rooms include a drawing room, dining room and beautifully fitted kitchen with large four-oven Aga, plus a lovely garden room offering spectacular views over the grounds.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 3 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 4 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 5 Woman's body found in village home
- 6 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 7 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 10 'It's been a strange few days' - Skuse gives emotional exit interview
The lower ground floor features a cinema room, complete with mood lighting and a drop-down screen, plus a games room/gym and the property's original wine cellar.
Back in the entrance hall, a beautiful sweeping staircase leads upstairs. There is a master bedroom with large dressing room and luxurious en suite bathroom on the first floor, alongside a second bedroom suite and a smaller nursery bedroom or study.
Three further bedrooms and two bathrooms, including an en suite, can be found upstairs, while the sixth bedroom has been converted into a convenient dressing room.
Outside, the house is accessed by a drive which the property shares with Rosetti Hall - a Grade II* listed property, constructed in 1895 as part of the extension - and The Lodge House.
Gainsborough Wing also has access to a double garage, private terrace and the communal gardens, which extend to over eight acres and include a tennis court.
Contact Savills for more information.
Cotton End Road, Newmarket
Guide price: £1,750,000
Savills, 01223 347241, www.savills.com