Home improvement: How often do you really use that luxury bath you fitted? Britains admit to having just four baths a year
- Credit: Getty Images/Fuse
When was the last time you had a bath?
No, I am not trying to be intrusive, but at a time when we are spending more and more money on having luxury bathrooms in our homes - we are actually using them less for bathing.
Only a generation ago there were still homes locally where bath night meant heating up water to fill a tin bath in the kitchen.
Now every house has a bathroom - or even more than one - and it is very often a luxury part area of the home.
But research for hotel website Laterooms.com found that more than a third of people surveyed actually take just four baths a year.
You may also want to watch:
It is not because we are dirtier though - it is the rising popularity of taking showers.
In a world where we are increasingly in a hurry, Britons, on average take 277 showers a year.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 9 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 10 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
Thirty-five per cent of those surveyed admit they take only four baths year.
Of those 47% say two of those baths are likely to take place when they are staying in a hotel.
Despite 75% of the nation still having both a bath and shower in their home bathroom and three-quarters of householders saying baths are more relaxing and better for ‘me’ time, it is the shower that sees the most action.
But the UK doesn’t shower or bath on 111 days of the year.
For 35% of the nation the decision to take a shower instead of a bath is simply a time issue – showers are quicker.
In fact I have visited several new homes, which have both an en suite shower to the master bedroom and a family bathoom, and the bathroom has never been used by the first home owners.
The study revealed that, even as adults, 60% of us share a bath with our partner, especially if staying in a hotel.
Even businessmen are more likely to take a bath when staying in a hotel.
LateRooms spokesman Andrea Tarpey said they polled more than 2,000 adults.
“Our research shows that almost a quarter of the UK (24%) admits that even when plunged into a relaxing bubble bath they can’t resist using their smartphone to check up on social media and texts.
“According to these new statistics, the average time Brits spend soaking in a tub of hot water is 20 minutes.
“What is abundantly clear is that while our busy lives mean we don’t have as much time to enjoy a hot soak in a lovely bath as we’d like, we still prefer them to showers.
“And that means when we take a relaxing trip away from home we’re much more likely to indulge ourselves by taking a bath whilst in a hotel.”