Former lock keeper's cottage for sale on its own 'island' for £600,000
- Credit: Jack Thornley/David Burr
A former lock keeper's cottage, referred to as a "hidden gem", has come up for sale beside the River Stour in Nayland.
Lock Cottage was built as a lock keeper's cottage in the early 19th century. It was one of 16 identical cottages to be built along this part of the river – and is now one of just two remaining.
Selling agents David Burr say it is "discretely tucked away on an island location, a true hidden gem of the village, sited between the River Stour, Mill Stream and Lock Pool". It is now being sold at a guide price of £600,000 and is available with no onward chain.
Despite its history, the property is unlisted. It enjoys a lovely, picturesque outlook over the surrounding landscape, although a portion of its land is leased from the Environment Agency.
Inside, the cottage offers three reception rooms, including a sitting room, drawing room and separate dining room, as well as a lovely sun room and a modern kitchen which is well-fitted with a Hotpoint oven and enough space for a fridge/freezer and dishwasher.
There is also a shower room and a utility area on the ground floor.
Upstairs, there are four bedrooms, including one with an en suite, and a family bathroom which has a bath and a separate shower.
- 1 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 2 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 3 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Stanley win
- 5 'It's an important win' - McKenna on 2-1 victory against Accrington
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 8 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Accrington Stanley: Blues fight back to beat scrappy visitors
- 10 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
There are various walkways and lawns surrounding the property, which enjoys wonderful views. The entrance stream to Lock Pool is immediately to the south and the River Stour is to the west.
For more information, contact David Burr.
Guide price: £600,000
David Burr, 01206 263007, www.davidburr.co.uk
Would you like to stay up to date with the latest property news in your area? Sign up to our East Anglian Daily Times newsletter for our pick of the best local property stories.