Former seaside hotel ready to be transformed into luxury homes
- Credit: Last and Tricker Partnership
The site of the former Cavendish Hotel in Felixstowe has been put up for sale after plans were approved for penthouse apartments and luxury homes with space for shops and restaurants,
It is a key development site on the seafront in south Felixstowe.
The Art Deco style Cavendish Hotel, built by Tolly Cobbold, was a landmark in Sea Road overlooking the beach, until it was demolished in 1988 after falling into disrepair.
The 1.44 acre site then became home to Felixstowe Sunday Market.
Now with Suffolk Coastal District Council approving detailed plans for a luxury, six storey development, it is on the market.
You may also want to watch:
Agents Savills are inviting bids from potential purchasers who would complete the scheme.
The plans include a total of 62 homes and commercial units; with 48 apartments, 11 townhouses and three commercial units on the ground floor - most likely restaurant or leisure uses in the resort.
Homes with a sea view come at a premium in Felixstowe, and many of the new homes will have unbroken views over the promenade and out to sea.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 3 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 4 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 5 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 6 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 7 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!
- 8 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 9 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 10 Ipswich to face army of familiar faces as Town draw U's in EFL Trophy
Townhouses are planned to be built fronting Beach Station Road and Micklegate Road.
The 48 apartments will include one and two bedroom homes, in the current plans, and five three-bedroom penthouses.
It would be a multi-million pound development at a time when properties with sea views in Felixstowe attract premium prices.
Tony Lockwood, of commercial agents Savills said: “This is a unique opportunity to regenerate this part of Sea Road.
“We have already had some interest and we are anticipating a lot of interest from specialist developers.
“Felixstowe generally is on the up and we see a lot of interest in sites here. Developers are looking at Felixstowe.
“This is an important development for the town.”
They expected to have bids from potential purchasers in by the end of September, he said.
Once the sale had been completed, the new owner could get on the with project quite swiftly as full planning permission as already been granted.
That could mean building starting before the end of the year.
There is no social housing included in the scheme, instead the developer has to pay a sum of £350,000 to the local council in lieu of it.