Marchetti ready to step in
ITALY goalkeeper Federico Marchetti is relishing the opportunity to fill in for injured veteran Gianluigi Buffon when his side face New Zealand Sunday.
Buffon has a herniated disc and was subsituted in Italy’s opening game against Paraguay,
“I am convinced I can play a good game on Sunday,” said Marchetti.
“The other night against Paraguay, I knew that Gigi (Buffon) had a problem and hence I was mentally ready to replace him.”
Over the years, Buffon has established himself as one of the best goalkeepers in the world and the Cagliara keeper admits they have contrasting styles.
You may also want to watch:
“Buffon and I are different.” he said.
“He is faster and more reactive. I am more muscular and explosive.”
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 A12 closed following serious collision
- 3 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 4 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 5 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 8 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 9 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 10 Ipswich Debenhams to close on May 4 after the building is sold
The 27-year-old made his senior debut last year with and this sumnmers World Cup marks his first international tournament.
“I feel the confidence of my team-mates,” he said.
“I plan to enjoy Sunday’s game, I am calm and ready to help the national team.”