Murrayside 70s team remembered
WELL it didn't take long for someone to send me over a few names of the Murrayside School team from Ipswich, of 1971.And would you believe it, the man who could provide most, if not all, the names, is a neighbour of mine, who I see cutting the grass in his shorts, but never recognised him in this photograph.
WELL it didn't take long for someone to send me over a few names of the Murrayside School team from Ipswich, of 1971.
And would you believe it, the man who could provide most, if not all, the names, is a neighbour of mine, who I see cutting the grass in his shorts, but never recognised him in this photograph.
So thanks Pete Shelcot for telling me that this Murrayside side were a superb young team, who gained promotion in successive seasons in the SIL and won trophies along the way.
You may also want to watch:
Pete has also had a stab at naming a few people in the photo.
Thanks also to June Stockdale regarding the photo:
- 1 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 4 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 5 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 6 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 7 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 8 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 9 Town's new owners to discuss player recruitment with Cook this week
- 10 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
I am writing in response to your 'where are ya' photo published of Murrayside.
My father, John Diaper (now aged 84) was the manager and is the last person standing in the back row. The first person in the front row surname is Proctor, sorry he can't remember his first name, next is Steve Abbot, known as Abby, and next is Chris Wilkinson. They are the only names he can recall.
1971 was a special year for the Murrayside club as they won the Minor Cup, shown in the photo, and won the Section B Division 3 by only losing 1 game, dropping five points and scoring an amazing 100 goals in the whole season. There were also finalists in the Ross Taylor cup
Murrayside then went on to win the Primary cup in 1972/73 and the Junior cup 1973/74
My father has very fond memories of the club and is disappointed to only recall a few names. He is hoping that someone else will fill in the blanks for him.
I hope this is of some use.
Well, thanks June for your note and hopefully with Pete naming a few more, it helps your father recall those days.
Back Row left to right No.3 (Goalkeeper) Dave Gladden, (6) Steve Summers, (Manager/Coach) John Diaper,
Front Row left to right - Chris Proctor, Steve Abbott, Chris Wilkinson, Steve Cunningham, (5) ?, (6) Peter Warren, (7) me, Pete Shelcot.