10 top tips to save water and still keep cool
PUBLISHED: 12:35 02 July 2018 | UPDATED: 12:35 02 July 2018
With the heatwave set to continue, Anglian Water has issued 10 top tips for customers to keep cool and save water at the same time.
Although Anglian Water has reassured customers that there will be no hosepipe ban this year, it is encouraging people to remain water wise, while staying hydrated and healthy. Here are some top tips to save water while still having fun in the sun:
• Take a shorter shower or a shallower bath. Just a minute less in the shower can save as much as £50 a year on your water bill. This is one of the easiest ways for everyone to save water.
• Anglian Water is asking customers to “learn to love their brown lawn”. It’s asking us to leave the sprinkler in the shed this summer, as it’s one of the biggest water guzzlers. Grass is extremely hard to kill, so your lawn will soon bounce back and be vibrant and green again, come the autumn.
• Water plants late at night when it’s cool. The water is less likely to evaporate and will do most good. Watering in the heat of the day is not advised, as it can scorch and kill your plants.
• If you’ve already filled the paddling pool for the day, don’t empty it. You can save loads on your water bill by using gentle disinfectant tablets that keep the paddling pool water fresh for days of use and fun with the kids. You can also use the water to wash the car or water the flower beds.
• Alternatively, forget the paddling pool and head to the beach. In the East of England we have some of the best beaches in the country and many have been awarded Blue Flags and Seaside Awards.
• If you have a dripping tap, get it fixed. A tap dripping every second, all day, will waste around 17 litres in just 24 hours. That’s over 6,000 litres and around £30 a year.
• Check your local forecast. If it’s going to rain tomorrow, don’t water the plants.
• Running the tap until the water gets cold wastes water. Instead, leave a jug of tap water in the fridge to cool down, helping you to keep hydrated.
• Another way to keep your cool is to dampen a flannel and put it in the fridge.
• Cool down by dabbing cold water from the fridge on your wrists, ankles and temples.
Anglian Water is asking anyone who spots a leak to call 0800 771881, or report it via their website.
The water company will be sharing more water-saving tips via its Facebook page. It is also issuing advice on water-efficient gardening, and customers can apply for a free water-saving garden pack.