114mph biker saved by paramedic after crashing into ditch

AN off-duty paramedic saved a motorcyclist’s life when he crashed into a water-filled ditch after recording speeds of up to 114mph, a court heard.

John Warren was clocked travelling at 100mph, or above, of three occasions as he filmed his five-mile journey between Bury St Edmunds and Cockfield through a camera on his �5,000 Yamaha.

Ipswich Crown Court heard how paramedic Steven Todd pulled the severely injured 24-year-old out of the ditch before he was suffocated by water seeping through his crash helmet.

Fining Warren - of Guildhall Street, Bury St Edmunds - �1,000 and disqualifying him from driving for 12 months, Judge Patrick O’Brien said: “This was an absolutely appalling case of careless driving.

“What you had been doing was pretty horrific, reaching speeds of up to 114mph.”

You may also want to watch:

Jude Durr, representing Warren, who admitted driving without due care and attention, paid tribute to Mr Todd, who was awarded �200 by the court for his actions.

Mr Durr said: “If it had not been for the fact Mr Todd was there he (Warren) might have suffocated.”

Most Read

Warren, a qualified electrician, spent three weeks in hospital recovering from life-threatening multiple internal injuries, including a bleed on the brain, which he sustained in the crash.

The court heard Warren was wheelchair-bound for more than four months, and lost his job because he was unable to return to work by October.

Mr Durr said: “On the morning of March 28 last year he felt he had the world at his feet. The events of that day have brought him crashing to earth.

“His family have been through hell and heartache.

“He recognises he’s very, very fortunate not to have lost his life through this piece of stupidity.”

Earlier in the hearing prosecutor Michael Crimp said the accident occurred around lunchtime on Sunday, March 28, when Warren was following a route he had read about in a motorcycle magazine.

Mr Todd had seen Warren go through Cockfield at a steady speed. However, he then saw Warren’s Yamaha pull away.

At the end of a straight stretch the road turned left, but Warren’s Yamaha did not, Mr Crimp said.

Mr Todd saw a puff of dust, some white smoke, and the motorbike and rider disappear from view.

After reaching the ditch Mr Todd thought Warren had died at one point. He pulled the motorcyclist out of the water as it seeped into his helmet.

When questioned by police Warren disputed the speeds recorded on his motorbike’s camera. Officers estimated that he had been travelling at an average speed of more than 80mph in 40mph and 60mph limits.

In addition to his fine and ban, Warren must also pay a �15 victim surcharge.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus