13 people pictured on CCTV identified in Corrie McKeague search after police pod set up in Bury St Edmunds
PUBLISHED: 15:44 04 December 2016 | UPDATED: 15:44 04 December 2016
Thirteen out of 23 people pictured on CCTV in Bury St Edmunds near the time of RAF airman Corrie McKeague’s disappearance have now been identified, according to the 23-year-old’s family.
A ‘police pod’ was set up in the town centre on November 24 and 25 with people stopping to watch footage of the area of town where the RAF Honington airman serviceman vanished at 3.24am on September 24.
Writing on the Find Corrie Facebook page, Corrie’s uncle Tony Wringe said: “The family asked for the pod to be placed in the centre of Bury to allow the public to view the CCTV to try and help identify the 23 unidentified persons that had been captured on film.
“Despite a lack of police resources to keep the pod open and operating at accessible times for the many people who wanted to assist, it was an outstanding success – there are now only 10 unidentified individuals remaining, following the pod CCTV review. Investigation to discount those who were identified continues.”
Those pictured were not considered suspects, but police and Corrie’s family hoped their evidence could help rule out certain lines of enquiry.
Mr Wringe also said Suffolk Constabulary was due to release more CCTV images to the public in the next few days.
Among other facts shared by Mr Wringe, he said it was now “forensically discounted” that Corrie had remained in the Brentgovel Street area, where he was last seen on CCTV.
This, he said, left just two possibilities. Firstly, that he left on foot or secondly that he left in a vehicle.
However, he said the latter was far more likely as he said: “We know for certain that Corrie did not walk out of that area before 1200 on Saturday (including not in other clothing) and has not been seen leaving on the footage viewed up until 1600 so far.”
Investigation into tracing any vehicle that Corrie got into either willingly or unwillingly continues.
Corrie has now been missing for 10 weeks.
The airman was on a night out in Bury on September 23 but had become separated from his friends. He bought a takeaway from Mama Mia in St Andrew’s Street North after midnight and fell asleep in the doorway of Hughes Electrical Store, in Brentgovel Street, for a couple of hours.
The final sighting of him was on CCTV walking down Brentgovel Street and turning right into an alleyway opposite Short Brackland, behind Greggs and Superdrug.
He has not been seen since. His mobile phone was traced to the Barton Mills area, but the Nokia Lumia still has not been found.
Mr Wringe added a public search for his nephew was planned for later this month, which would be under the guidance of trained professionals.
“We will also be looking to extend the delivery of leaflets out to Thetford, Mildenhall and Lakenheath, we’ll be approaching USAF (US Air Force) for support with this next week,” he said.
Thanking everyone who has helped the search for Corrie so far, he said: “I’ve run out of superlatives, just thank you.
“To all of the stall holders on the Christmas market and all of the shops in Bury St Edmunds – thank you for your sustained support and kindness.
“To the staff at the Bull Inn for donating your tips to pay for leaflets – such generosity is truly humbling.”
He also thanked the Suffolk and Lowland Search and Rescue team for “running a marathon when funded for a sprint”.
The dedicated phone number to call the major investigation team with any information is 01473 782019.