Teenager charged with attempted rape in Bury St Edmunds
- Credit: GOOGLE MAPS
A 19-year-old man has been charged after a woman was knocked down and sexually assaulted in Bury St Edmunds.
The attack occurred between 4am and 4.15am on Sunday, June 3 in Cullum Road.
The victim, a 25-year-old woman, was walking back from the town centre when she was pushed into some bushes near a stream and sexually assaulted.
She screamed out for help and members of the public came to her assistance, resulting in the offender running away.
As a result of initial police enquiries a suspect was identified, however he left the United Kingdom the day after the attack took place, prior to coming to the attention of detectives.
You may also want to watch:
Yesterday, officers from Essex Police stopped a vehicle in Chelmsford and subsequently arrested a man in connection with this incident.
Sinan Mehmedov, of no fixed abode, was transported to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre for questioning and has been charged with attempted rape.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
He was remanded in custody and is due to appear before Ipswich Magistrates’ Court today, Thursday September 20.