1pm storm update: Power company appeals to restaurants with Christmas Day vacancies to get in touch as workers battle to restore supplies
Thousands of people in Suffolk and Essex are still without power this morning because of damage caused by last night’s storm - and some could still be without power tomorrow.
The number of homes without power in Suffolk had dropped to 425 at midday today, from 3,380 at about 7am. But that figure has now risen to 780.
The number of homes in Essex now without power stands at 2,115, which has risen from 1,807 earlier this morning.
A spokesman for UK Power Networks said: “We have had a very busy night with high winds and rainfall.”
She said the firm had drafted in extra workers yesterday in anticipation of the storm, which was expected to bring gusts of up to 60mph and that they were “hopeful” power would be restored to the remaining homes tonight.
You may also want to watch:
However, they have also announced that they are planning to help customers who have lost power with Christmas Day dinners.
The firm is appealing for any restaurants or pubs in the area who have spare tables on Christmas Day to email SDCSupportContact@ukpowernnetworks.co.uk
People who have suffered a power cut are asked to call UK Power Networks on 0800 783 8838.
Are you one of those affected by the power cut, or do you know someone without power? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01473 324738.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 8 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 9 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 10 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash