A Suffolk café and gallery owner believes a crash which saw a van smash into their building could have been "quite serious". 

Sue Pendleton is part of the ownership team that runs Vela Art Gallery and Café in Saxmundham High Street. 

The premises in the east Suffolk town found itself at the centre of a "disaster" on Monday morning after a van crashed through the front of the building. 

East Anglian Daily Times: A bus was involved in the crashA bus was involved in the crash (Image: Charlotte Bond)

It is believed the lorry, which was parked on the street, was hit by an oncoming bus. 

"It's just a disaster," said Ms Pendleton.

"The bus hit a parked lorry. Next door is being renovated and the builders' van was outside."

East Anglian Daily Times: Road closures were in place near to the crashRoad closures were in place near to the crash (Image: Charlotte Bond)


Having been open as recently as Saturday, the café was shut on Monday as part of a six-month break the team are taking.

Ms Pendleton, who also works for the NHS alongside the café, believes the crash could have been more serious had the business been open at the time of the incident.

East Anglian Daily Times: Recovery meant the road was shut for several hoursRecovery meant the road was shut for several hours (Image: Charlotte Bond)

She added: "We were shut today so luckily nobody was in there as it is where one of the sofas is.

"It would have been quite serious."

The truck will be pulled out of the building before the owners can assess the extent of the damage. 

East Anglian Daily Times: The lorry caused significant damage to the buildingThe lorry caused significant damage to the building (Image: Charlotte Bond)

Despite the disruption, Ms Pendleton says she and her fellow owners intend to for the business to be open for the Saxmundham Christmas Fayre on Friday, December 1.

According to Suffolk police, the road was expected to be closed for "several hours" on Monday. 

Nobody was injured in the crash. 

In a post on social media, operator First Buses said the service was unable to run due to "operational issues".

First Buses has been approached for comment.