£40,000 stolen - from police station
By James HoreA SENIOR police officer has defended the level of security at his station after £40,000-worth of Euros was stolen from the building.The money was the proceeds of raids carried out by detectives and was being kept as evidence in a safe at Colchester Police Station.
By James Hore
A SENIOR police officer has defended the level of security at his station after £40,000-worth of Euros was stolen from the building.
The money was the proceeds of raids carried out by detectives and was being kept as evidence in a safe at Colchester Police Station.
Essex Police's professional standards department was brought in to investigate the theft after the money was discovered missing and two civilian members of staff were arrested.
You may also want to watch:
Chief Superintendent Dave Murthwaite, commander of the Colchester police division, said there was not a security problem at the station.
“I am happy that we uncovered the discrepancy within a reasonable amount of time and happy that the measures which were in place restricting access were satisfactory,” he added.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 5 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 6 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 7 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 8 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 10 Motorcyclist in life-threatening condition after crash with parked cars
“The security was recently reviewed and we are quite happy that we could not have done any better.”
A spokeswoman for Essex Police said the people arrested by its professional standards department were not serving officers.
She added: “Two women police staff members, not police officers, were arrested on Friday June 18 by officers from the professional standards department and the investigation relates to the theft of money from Colchester Police Station.”
The spokeswoman said the two civilian members of staff had been released on police bail until August 19 and had been suspended from work.