40 tortoises rescued from barn fire
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have rescued 40 tortoises from a smoke logged barn after a fire sparked by a storage heater.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service were called to the incident at 9.57am today after reports of a small fire burning in the barn on a residential property.
Two engines attended the scene in Mill Road, Chelmsford, and crews extinguished the fire by 10.51am.
It was believed to have been started when bedding, which was kept next to a storage heater, ignited.
Positive pressure ventilation fans had to be used to clear the smoke from the barn.
You may also want to watch:
The barn was being used by the residents to breed tortoises.
The fire service have confirmed that thankfully none of the animals came to harm during the rescue.
- 1 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 6 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 7 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 8 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour