WATCH: Hundreds tackle 10 mile coastal run in memory of Felixstowe GP
- Credit: Archant
More than 400 runners took to Felixstowe prom this morning to take on a 10 mile race along the seafront. Can you spot yourself in our gallery?
The annual race was held for the first time under its new name, the Richard Bennett Felixstowe Coastal 10M, in memory of a popular local resident who passed away in 2013.
Dr Richard Bennett, who died aged 56, was an avid runner and beloved GP who was well-known among the Felixstowe community.
He took his own life nearly five years ago following a battle with severe depression.
His wife, Annabel Bennett, who has been appointed race director for next year, said she was “really, really honoured” to be asked if the event could be held in his name.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “He was a good runner himself – he ran some three hour marathons. He was also a GP in the area so he was very well known in the whole community, not just the running community.
“He influenced a lot of people to get into running and supported people throughout, whether they were beginners or right up to ultra marathons.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 5 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 6 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 7 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 9 Leisure centre closes after travellers park up on site
- 10 Town coach on Palace display, fans' return, transfer business and Evans' absence
When asked how special it was to see so many people at the event, Mrs Bennett said: “It’s absolutely amazing – it sold out in half a day, this race.
“I’m going to be the race director next year so I’m hoping I’ll have the same support.
“My daughters are both here as well so we have a big family contingent with us.”
Organised by Felixstowe Road Runners, the race set off at 9.15am from the prom at the bottom of Bent Hill/Undercliff Road West.
Runners then headed south past the pier to Landguard, returning along the prom north to Felixstowe Ferry and then back to the finish line at the leisure centre in Undercliff Road West.