New build and conversion will bring 26 homes
- Credit: MixBrow
Construction is well underway on the redevelopment of a social housing scheme at Tayfen Road in Bury St Edmunds for Havebury Housing Partnership.
Suffolk-based Mixbrow Construction is the main contractor for the £4m project which, when finished in the summer of next year, will provide 26 one-bed and 10 two-bed apartments; 23 of which will be new build and 13 refurbished.
The development, which is being part funded by Homes England, sits behind The Beerhouse on land connecting Tayfen Road and Station Hill, and which previously housed The Old Maltings and Lucky Break Snooker Hall.
Two Bury St Edmunds-based businesses are involved in the scheme. Rees Pryer, based on Kempson Way, is the architect and Morrish & Partners in Whiting Street are the civil engineering and structural designers.
Senior project manager at Havebury, Elliott Bragg is pictured with Doug Jaye, contracts director at Mixbrow Construction helping with the masonry work which started this month.
You may also want to watch:
A total of 120,000 bricks will be laid to form the external walls of the new three-storey building.
Elliott said: “We are extremely pleased with how construction is progressing. The plan has been well thought through and maximises the potential by converting the two older buildings on the site and constructing a new building on the remaining land to create much needed social housing and affordable homes for the town.”
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 7 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Mike Bacon: 'Be careful what you wish for' - But we've been proved right, we saw this coming years ago
- 10 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave