A day at the races raises £50,000 for animal health charity
- Credit: Archant
More than 250 guests enjoyed a spectacular day’s racing and hospitality at Newmarket to raise a record-breaking amount of money for a veterinary research charity.
The Animal Health Trust (AHT), which is based just outside Newmarket, in Kentford, offers referral services and diagnostic testing for horses, dogs and cats in East Anglia, across the UK and internationally.
The trust’s race day has been held at Newmarket’s July course for 11 years and this year’s event raised more than £50,000 for the charity.
As well as the racing on June 9, a impressive main auction of a safari holiday, Caribbean holiday, private dining experience and behind the scenes tour of Hyde Park Barracks, donated by HRH The Princess Royal, collectively raised more than £14,000 towards the fundraising total.
The event is organised by a very dedicated committee of local business leaders, chaired by Noel Byrne of the Bedford Lodge Hotel and Spa.
Kevin Clements, director of fundraising at the AHT, said: “The whole committee and the race course provided a tremendous amount of support which made the race day possible.
“Without them this spectacular event simply would not happen and we’re thrilled to be able to say that this year’s event was one of the most successful on record.
- 1 Go-ahead given for 74 new affordable homes for Suffolk town
- 2 McKenna on Hladky and Bakinson futures
- 3 Controversial statue on Stowmarket roundabout gets green light
- 4 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
- 5 5 of the prettiest villages in Suffolk
- 6 Missing 17-year-old boy found safe
- 7 Mike Bacon: A perfect start to hopefully a perfect season
- 8 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers should be aware of this week
- 9 'Let's turn this into a fortress' - Town season ticket sales hit 16k
- 10 Norwood holds talks with one of Town's fellow League One rivals
“This is a true testament to all of the hard work of our committee members, who are all so very passionate about supporting the AHT, and this really showed on the day.
“We are incredibly grateful to the committee, our sponsors and to all of our guests who gave generously at the event.”
Noel Byrne, chief executive of the Bedford Lodge Hotel and Spa, said: “It was a privilege to chair yet another charity race day for the Animal Health Trust.
“The committee really went above and beyond and this was reflected in a very enjoyable and successful event.
“We look forward to seeing how we can continue to improve this event for next year and finding new ways to support this vitally important charity.”
Anyone interested in attending future events, can visit www.aht.org.uk or email email@example.com