Police re-open A1071 in both directions after lorry overturned at Hintlesham
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk police have re-opened the A road at Hintlesham after it was closed both ways due to an overturned lorry.
Emergency services were called to the scene of the incident on the A1071 at around 10.15am today, September 11.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said that the lorry had come off the road ending up partly in a ditch and partly in a field.
As it came off the road the lorry hit overhead cables belonging to BT.
Drivers reported severe delays in the area with queues stretching back to Duke Street.
You may also want to watch:
One driver said: “I’m stuck in it and have now missed the meeting I came out for.
“The A1071 is closed and Hadleigh back road incredible jammed.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 4 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 7 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 8 Leisure centre closes after travellers park up on site
- 9 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 10 Warnock on Town target Coulson's absence from Middlesbrough squad
At the time police believed that the road would be closed until 4pm but the Suffolk Constabulary were able to get things moving at around 3.30pm.
Two large recovery vehicles were used to remove the lorry from the road, before they re-opened the road and removed the previous diversion at Lately Lane, Hintlesham.
Police have said that it will take time for the tailbacks to finally clear.