A12/A14: Major roads to remain open during Copdock Mill work
WORK to upgrade the Copdock Mill roundabout where the A12 meets the A14 is to start on Monday – leading to fears of major disruption during the 30-week programme.
The junction is to have more traffic lights installed and improvements made to its lanes, which traffic engineers believe will make it much easier for vehicles to negotiate.
Most of the work will be carried out overnight to try to minimise the disruption to traffic – but there are likely to be some lane closures which could slow down motorists.
And it has emerged that the decision to keep the main roads open throughout the work was only made after major lobbying from the county council.Suffolk County Council cabinet member with responsibility for transport Guy McGregor said there had been talks about the work, and the Highways Agency was told it would not be acceptable to divert overnight traffic through villages like Copdock and Washbrook.
In the past, the agency had preferred to close roads altogether on safety grounds, but this attitude had changed.
You may also want to watch:
Mr McGregor said: “We talked to them and they came around to see our point of view. The junction will remain open even while the work is taking place.”
A spokeswoman for the Highways Agency said they were pleased there would be no need to close the junction – although there would be occasions overnight when convoy working would be needed to allow the work to be completed safely.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 3 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 4 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 5 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 6 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 7 Woman in master/slave relationship was asked to supply indecent images
- 8 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 9 A12 clear after two-car crash at Farnham
- 10 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
She said: “While the improvements to the Copdock interchange are being carried out, the A12 and A14 trunk roads will remain open at all times.
“There will be lane closures and some overnight convoy working as well as sliproad closures – with dates to be confirmed.
“The Highways Agency always consults with stakeholders and plans improvement projects carefully to allow work to be completed safely, in a cost-effective way while keeping disruption for road users to a minimum.
“We do as much work as possible overnight to keep more lanes open at peak travel time.”