A12 blocked in Essex as police look for suspected illegal immigrants
- Credit: Archant
The A12 was closed at Hatfield Peverel for nearly an hour on Wednesday evening as police searched for a group of suspected illegal immigrants seen getting out of a lorry.
The road was shut shortly before 9pm as police started looking around the area for the people seen leaving the lorry.
The National Police Air Service helicopter from nearby Boreham was called in to help the search and it is understood a number of suspects were rounded up.
Drivers were frustrated at having to stop and many of them left their cars to try to see what was happening in the gathering evening gloom.
The area was eventually cleared after some of the suspects were detained and the road was reopened to traffic later in the evening.
Some drivers took to social media to express their frustration at the delay while others posted images of the helicopter in the fast-descending gloom.
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 3 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 4 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 5 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 6 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 7 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 8 Police arrest driver after single car crash
- 9 Long delays on A12 after overturned tractor trailer
- 10 Let's get physical, 'spanner in the works' and selection headaches