Long delays on A12 after four vehicle crash
- Credit: PC JON HARDY
Motorists have been caught in serious disruption on the A12 after a collision near Kelvedon.
Essex Police were called at 3.50pm this afternoon with reports of a four vehicle crash between junctions 22 and 23 of the A12.
Drivers are being warned of several miles of congestion, with delays of "over an hour" in both directions.
The latest update from Highways England says one lane is currently closed in both directions, to allow Essex Police to work at the scene.
It was initially suggested the road may be closed between junctions 24 and 25, but the authority has since updated its guidance.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman said: "Our area team will also be assisting police on scene as there is damage to the central reservation barrier as a result of the collision.
"Please allow extra time for your journey should you be travelling in the area this afternoon, and consider alternative routes if you can."
- 1 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 4 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 5 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 6 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 7 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 8 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 9 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 10 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
Roads policing officer PC Jon Hardy tweeted: "Currently at a four vehicle RTC on the #A12 north track at Kelvedon.
"Luckily there are no injuries and we have now reopened [part of] the road. Thank you for your patience."
Sgt Colin Shead added: "Please avoid #A12 J22 <> J23 Long delays due to a RTC. This is affecting both carriageways."
A spokesman for Essex Police said: "We were called to reports of a four vehicle collision on the A12 near Rivenhall at around 3.50pm on Monday, May 13.
"The incident is ongoing.
"If you have any information about the incident please call us on 101 quoting incident 729 of May 13."