A12 closed between Chelmsford and London after serious crash
- Credit: Archant
Emergency services are at the scene of a “very serious” crash on the A12 which has been closed between Chelmsford and London this morning. UPDATE: Police have confirmed a man in his 20s has died at the scene.
The A12 is closed in both directions between junction 11 (M25 junction 28, Brook Street Interchange) and junction 12 (A1023) due to a collision reported to emergency services at around 3.30am.
The closure is expected to remain in place for several hours. Motorists are urged to avoid the area. Diversions have been put in place.
Highways England said in a statement: “The A12 in Essex is closed in both directions between J11 (M25 J28, Brook Street Interchange) and J12 (A1023) due to a serious traffic collision.
“Essex Police are on scene carrying out collision investigation with the road expected to remain closed for several further hours to allow this to be completed.
You may also want to watch:
“Traffic from the A12 northbound and M25 approaches should divert from Brook Street Interchange (J11, M25 J28) along the A1023 northbound, continue through Brentwood and rejoin the A12 northbound at J12. Traffic from the A12 southbound should follow the reverse route.
“This closure is expected to remain in place for several hours.”
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 3 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 4 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 5 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 6 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 7 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 8 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
- 9 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 10 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
Essex Police said on Twitter: “Our officers are on scene dealing with this very serious incident.
“More information will follow as soon as we have it.
“Please do not make your journey unless it is necessary, thank you.”
Posting on Twitter through their Force Control Room account, Essex Police said: “The A12 will be closed in both directions between J11 & J12 for some time.
“Please bear with us as the emergency services deal with the situation.”
Three fire engines were called to the scene at 3.38am.
An Essex County Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We are currently at the scene of a serious road traffic collision on the northbound A12, between junction 11 and junction 12.
“The road is closed in both directions and at 5am Highways England said it expected the closure to stay in place for several hours.”
We will provide updates as they are issued.