Lane blocked on A12 due to broken down lorry
- Credit: GOOGLE
Motorists were caught in major delays on the A12 this morning after a lorry broke down on the carriageway.
According to Highways England, the incident happened heading northbound on the A12 near Colchester.
The road was reduced to one lane, affecting traffic heading towards Ipswich.
At one point there was approximately six miles of congestion - which was expected to add 45 minutes onto usual journey times.
The scene has since been cleared.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Highways England tweeted: "#A12 Northbound J27 to J28 - Engineers have managed to get this vehicle back on its way! with thanks to @EPRoadsPolicing - Please be aware there may still be delays in the area #Colchester #Coggeshall".
It was initially believed the delays were caused by a stalled truck.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker in Cavendish
- 7 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
Essex Police said they do not comment on broken down vehicles.