Man caught watching TV while driving on A12
- Credit: Archant
A Colchester man was caught watching TV on his phone – which was propped up on the dashboard – while driving on the A12, a court heard.
Srinivas Chavakula, of Ipswich Road, was stopped by an officer because of concerns he was driving carelessly on Monday, September 2.
Police pulled over the 47-year-old's car on the northbound carriageway of the A12 at Kelvedon.
When they stopped the car officers discovered he had been watching TV on his mobile phone, which was propped up on the speedometer.
Chavakula later appeared at Colchester Magistrates' Court and admitted careless driving.
You may also want to watch:
Investigating officer PC Mike Jelley said: "The actions of this driver were irresponsible and not only put himself in danger, but other road users too.
"His disregard for road safety was unacceptable and could have resulted in a much more serious outcome.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 3 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 4 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 5 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 6 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 7 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 8 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 Bill Turnbull announces leave from Classic FM show for health reasons
"Thankfully we were able stop him before he seriously hurt himself or someone else."
Chavakula was ordered to pay £633 in a fine and £180 in costs and a victim surcharge.
He also received five points on his driving license.