A12 reopens after vehicle fire closes both carriageways
- Credit: Archant
A vehicle fire closed the A12 heading northbound towards Ipswich this afternoon.
Essex Police are currently at the scene of a vehicle fire between Kelvedon and Marks Tey.
Initially both carriages were closed following the incident, but police have since reopened the road.
An Essex County Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "Firefighters were called to a vehicle fire on the A12 Northbound bound between Kevledon and Marks Tey at 1:19pm.
"On arrival, crews reported that a car was on fire in a layby and worked to extinguish it by 1:44pm."
You may also want to watch:
In a tweet, Essex Roads Policing Unit said: "We have put in a closure on the #A12 between #Kelvedon junction 24 and #MarksTey junction 25 due to a car fire.
"Southbound #A12 reopened. However North is still closed. Heavy traffic in the area please avoid if possible."
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 7 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 8 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 9 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
- 10 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
Essex Police and the fire service have both been approached for further information regarding the incident.