A120 upgrade delays 'unacceptable'
AN ESSEX MP has branded delays in upgrading the A120 as “unacceptable” as he launched a campaign for improvements.Bernard Jenkin, the Tory MP for North Essex, has said the A120 needs to be changed to dual carriageway from both Braintree to Marks Tey and also from Frating to Harwich as soon as possible.
AN ESSEX MP has branded delays in upgrading the A120 as “unacceptable” as he launched a campaign for improvements.
Bernard Jenkin, the Tory MP for North Essex, has said the A120 needs to be changed to dual carriageway from both Braintree to Marks Tey and also from Frating to Harwich as soon as possible.
He has also called for “essential” safety measures to be introduced on the road which provides a key link between Stansted Airport and Harwich International Port.
Mr Jenkin is blaming the East of England Regional Assembly for the delays to the £312million dualling scheme because it is only giving £78 million and that will not be available for another decade.
You may also want to watch:
His comments came after a meeting held by Marks Tey Parish Council, which is concerned about the state of the busy road.
He said: “The A120 is the most important piece of transport infrastructure in north Essex.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 4 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 5 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 6 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 7 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 8 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 9 Family 'devastated' after thatched cottage badly damaged in fire
- 10 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
“Instead of being our lifeline, it has become a running sore, with stifling congestion and accident blackspots.
“Vital work has been threatened with unacceptable delays. I will launch a campaign to complete both new sections, from Braintree to Marks Tey and from Frating to Harwich. A 10-year delay is totally unacceptable.”
He said the new safety improvements are needed, citing problems with collapsed curbs, unsafe pavements, lack of paths, inadequate pedestrian crossings, and blocked drains.
The Government gave the East of England Regional Assembly £778 million to be spent over 10 years to fund its choice of transport schemes in the area.
However applications from local authorities for 127 projects totalled more than £6billion.
Although Mr Jenkin is blaming the assembly for the delay, it, in turn, is calling for more money from central Government.
Last night John Reynolds, chairman of the East of England Regional Planning Panel, said: “We would not disagree that more funding is needed for the region.
“We would call upon all the MPs of the region to lobby on behalf of the East of England to get resources and finances from the Government.”
He said the funding at present was “grossly inadequate” for all the development needed in the region.