A14 westbound shut at Rougham after accident involving police vehicle and ambulance
- Credit: Archant
The A14 westbound is likely to be closed at Rougham near Bury St Edmunds is still shut after a serious accident in the early hours.
The road is completely blocked after the accident which happened at 4.35am.
There is no word on the condition of the pedestrian who was involved in the accident, but it is understood that he was thought to be seriously hurt.
A man in the road was involved in a collision involving three vehicles – a car, a police vehicle and an ambulance. They were all travelling independently of each other – it was not a chase situation.
The police vehicle and ambulance were not on emergency calls. They did not have blue lights showing.
You may also want to watch:
Suffolk Police have informed the Independent Office for Police Conduct about this incident, as is standard procedure because it involves one of the force’s own vehicles.
Any witnesses to this incident are asked to contact Suffolk Police on 101 quoting reference CAD 80 of 14 October.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Appleton not shocked by Town's slow start but expects Cook's men to 'click' soon
- 10 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
Traffic heading westbound is being diverted off the A14 at Woolpit and sent along the A1088 and the A143 to rejoin the A14 at the Bury St Edmunds Central junction.
Other local traffic is expected to find other alternative routes. During the morning there was no serious congestion on the diversionary routes.
We shall continue to update this site as more information about the accident and the road closure emerges.