A14 reopens after closing suddenly last night
- Credit: Archant
Christmas Fayre visitors in Bury faced long delays and diversions last night as Highways England closed a stretch of the A14 for an unannounced reason just as the event finished its most popular day.
West Suffolk Council tweeted at 4.07pm on Saturday that they were told that Highways England will close the A14 from Bury St Edmunds Central towards Newmarket from 8pm.
This is the precise time that the fayre closed for the day prompting crowds of shoppers to leave the town and head straight into traffic chaos.
The council said: "This is without any consultation and they're unable to delay until later depsite our requests and Bury St Edmunds Christmas Fayre."
Bury St Edmunds police have confirmed the closure will be from junction 43 westbound from 8pm onwards.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone heading west along the A14 was affected and the council said that there a diversion was put in place for the park and ride services.
It is still unclear why the road closed but Highways England have been contacted for a response.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 6 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 7 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 8 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 10 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away