A14 reopens after closing suddenly last night
- Credit: Archant
Christmas Fayre visitors in Bury faced long delays and diversions last night as Highways England closed a stretch of the A14 for an unannounced reason just as the event finished its most popular day.
West Suffolk Council tweeted at 4.07pm on Saturday that they were told that Highways England will close the A14 from Bury St Edmunds Central towards Newmarket from 8pm.
This is the precise time that the fayre closed for the day prompting crowds of shoppers to leave the town and head straight into traffic chaos.
The council said: "This is without any consultation and they're unable to delay until later depsite our requests and Bury St Edmunds Christmas Fayre."
Bury St Edmunds police have confirmed the closure will be from junction 43 westbound from 8pm onwards.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone heading west along the A14 was affected and the council said that there a diversion was put in place for the park and ride services.
It is still unclear why the road closed but Highways England have been contacted for a response.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 3 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 4 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 5 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 Five floating restaurants to visit in Suffolk
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats