A14 crash causes major congestion
RUSH-hour motorists faced major delays this evening following an accident on the A14.
Ipswich's fragile road network was brought to its knees once again as jaded rush hour commuters faced yet more congestion misery.
A single-car crash on the A14 caused huge disruption tonight as diverted traffic flooded into a gridlocked town centre.
The bumper-to-bumper delays were exacerbated by a mysterious road closure in Heath Road, which neither police or the council could explain.
The section of the road affected was close to the Woodbridge Road roundabout.
You may also want to watch:
Emergency services were called to the Felixstowe-bound carriageway of the A14 near the Nacton turn off shortly before 5pm after a silver Peugeot 106 overturned.
Both lanes of the road were initially closed at Wherstead on the approach to the Orwell Bridge causing severe delays at one of the busiest periods of the day.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 4 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 5 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 6 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 7 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!
- 8 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 9 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 10 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
One lane was opened soon after as vehicle recovery took place, by which time significant tailbacks had built up, with traffic stretching as far as Sproughton.
The chaos deepened shortly after 6pm when a vehicle broke down on the Stowmarket-bound carriageway of the A14 at the Nacton Interchange, causing further disruption.
By around 7.30pm both problems had been cleared and traffic eased.