Reaction: Business groups, haulers and readers give their reaction to A14 motorway upgrade news
- Credit: Archant
Highways England unveiled news today that they are hoping to make part of the A14 a motorway. Opponents and those in favour have been giving their views on the news.
The move will create an unbroken motorway link between London and Peterborough and will increase safety and improve journeys by encouraging local and long-distance traffic onto the most suitable routes.
Highways England is nearly half way through the £1.5bn project to improve 21 miles of the A14 between Cambridge and Huntington.
Business and community group Orwell Ahead said that it was pleased with the news but said that more needed to be done.
“Of course this is good news for one end of the A14.
You may also want to watch:
“However, people are entitled to ask, why doesn’t east Suffolk ever benefit from direct improvement to our highways and infrastructure.”
Chrys Rampley from the Road Haulage Association agreed that a full upgrade for the A14 would be preferable.
- 1 Ipswich Town owner Johnson close to adding another club to his portfolio
- 2 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 3 Names of couple found dead in Woodbridge confirmed
- 4 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 5 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 6 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
- 7 Peter Andre visits Ipswich for post-lockdown haircut
- 8 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 9 Goalkeeping coach Walker leaves Town as Cook bids to 'freshen things up'
- 10 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
“We have been calling for the A14 to be a motorway for years. It’s a start. I would like to see the rest of it upgraded to motorway status.”
She also said that better services, which were not included in the plans would be beneficial for drivers.
Readers also gave their views on the potential change, Mikey J Pilbury agreed with Orwell Ahead: “Knew this was gonna happen a year ago only makes logical sense now all we need is a motorway linking Cambridge to Felixstowe.?
Lois Mickleburgh was concerned about other areas of the region: “All well and good this upgrade but when are they going to improve the A12 Essex stretch. It is truly appalling, especially approaching Magaretting.”
While Andy Backhouse was concerned about the price of the work: “71 odd million pounds per mile equivalent. Madness.”