Reaction: Business groups, haulers and readers give their reaction to A14 motorway upgrade news
- Credit: Archant
Highways England unveiled news today that they are hoping to make part of the A14 a motorway. Opponents and those in favour have been giving their views on the news.
The move will create an unbroken motorway link between London and Peterborough and will increase safety and improve journeys by encouraging local and long-distance traffic onto the most suitable routes.
Highways England is nearly half way through the £1.5bn project to improve 21 miles of the A14 between Cambridge and Huntington.
Business and community group Orwell Ahead said that it was pleased with the news but said that more needed to be done.
“Of course this is good news for one end of the A14.
“However, people are entitled to ask, why doesn’t east Suffolk ever benefit from direct improvement to our highways and infrastructure.”
Chrys Rampley from the Road Haulage Association agreed that a full upgrade for the A14 would be preferable.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 3 'I'm not here to settle' - Walton sets sights high after permanent Town move
- 4 Town could lose its Post Office branch in triple closure shock
- 5 'One or two we're speaking to' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 6 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 7 'A real gent' - Father raising awareness of rare cancer passes away aged 61
- 8 Stu says: Seven observations following Wimbledon win
- 9 Consultation on measures to ease town residents' parking frustration
- 10 McKenna on offers for Harper and El Mizouni and Fraser's Town future
“We have been calling for the A14 to be a motorway for years. It’s a start. I would like to see the rest of it upgraded to motorway status.”
She also said that better services, which were not included in the plans would be beneficial for drivers.
Readers also gave their views on the potential change, Mikey J Pilbury agreed with Orwell Ahead: “Knew this was gonna happen a year ago only makes logical sense now all we need is a motorway linking Cambridge to Felixstowe.?
Lois Mickleburgh was concerned about other areas of the region: “All well and good this upgrade but when are they going to improve the A12 Essex stretch. It is truly appalling, especially approaching Magaretting.”
While Andy Backhouse was concerned about the price of the work: “71 odd million pounds per mile equivalent. Madness.”