Man jailed for carrying out ‘disgusting act’ in shop
- Credit: Essex Police
A man has been jailed and made the subject of a 10-year Sexual Harm Prevention Order after being caught carrying out a lewd act in a shop.
Aaron Birchall received two years’ custody for two offences on Friday.
Police received reports that the 35-year-old had exposed himself before carrying out an indecent act and damaging a piece of clothing in a shop.
Birchall returned the following day and was recognised by a worker, who called police. He was arrested and charged with offences.
Birchall, of Shelley Road, Chelmsford, appeared at Chelmsford Crown Court, where he received two years for two offences investigated by Essex Police and 11 offences investigated by Sussex Police.
You may also want to watch:
He was given two months for indecent exposure and one month for criminal damage, to run concurrent with each other but consecutive of the offences investigated by Sussex Police.
Birchall has been made subject of notification requirements and a Sexual Harm Prevention Order for a decade.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 5 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 6 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 7 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Over 4,000 people test positive for Covid with cases continuing to rise
- 10 'The lads make it easy... I don't fear those decisions' - Cook on his selection headaches
Essex Police began investigating Birchall following reports that he had exposed himself in a shop within the town centre at about 1.35pm on Thursday, January 16.
Investigating officer, Sergeant Harriet Ware said: “Birchall is a sexual offender who carried out a disgusting act in a shop in Chelmsford.
“Out of respect to the staff working there, we won’t be naming the shop involved, but I’d like to thank the workers for acting quickly to call us.
“Birchall’s offending and pattern of behaviour is concerning and following a joint investigation with our colleagues in Sussex, he has been sent to prison for serious sexual offences.
“He will further be restricted by orders placed on him once he is released.”