Advice for Suffolk holidaymakers scheduled to fly to Tunisia in coming days and weeks
- Credit: PA
Tour operators have been facing questions from scores of anxious customers following the shooting in Tunisia.
Tony Nichols, from Ipswich, was due to fly to Hammamet, around 60 miles from Sousse where a gunman killed 38 people on Friday, with his wife and two teenage sons on July 7.
Mr Nichols said he was “shocked” and “really upset” when he heard what had happened because his wife, Lisa, had this year lost her brother to a brain tumour, so it was a much-needed break.
“I have been working a lot of hours and it’s not been the easiest of years – a holiday was well deserved,” he added.
The family, from the Whitehouse area of the town, booked the holiday through website loveholidays.com and Mr Nichols said it had not yet been made clear whether he could arrange to go somewhere else.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Nichols said even if the Foreign Office deemed the country safe to fly to by July 7, there was “no chance” he would go.
He added: “I’ve said to my friends that I would rather lose my money than my family.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 6 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 7 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 8 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 9 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 10 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
On its website, loveholidays.com states customers will be offered the option of cancelling or amending their holidays to Tunisia.
Amy Burgess, 21, was set to travel to Sousse on Tuesday with her friend, Alice Seward, 19, both from Ipswich.
Booking through travel website On the Beach, Miss Burgess said she had been told they cannot fly and were offered a refund on the hotel and transfers, and vouchers to fly to another destination.
The pair were due to stay in the El Mouradi hotel – just a 10-minute walk from the Hotel Riu Imperial Marhab, where the shooting happened.
Miss Burgess said she would not feel safe flying to Tunisia, adding: “I’m more concerned for the people over there who had to deal with this horrific experience. I’m so glad our holiday wasn’t planned sooner.”
Tui Group, which runs Thomson and First Choice, said this week’s trips to Tunisia have been cancelled.
Another operator, Jet2.com and Jet2holidays, also cancelled its flights and holidays to Tunisia up to July 5.
Thomas Cook is allowing those who are due to fly to Tunisia soon to change their plans free of charge.
EasyJet said customers who booked to travel to Monastir, Tunisia, within the next fortnight could have a free flight transfer on any date and route, or alternatively a flight voucher to the value of their unused flight sectors.
Thomson advised anyone worried about friends or family to call 0800 0885372.