max temp: 10°C

min temp: 7°C


Jail for Ipswich thief caught carrying a screwdriver by Boots security guard

PUBLISHED: 20:29 08 June 2018 | UPDATED: 20:35 08 June 2018

Ipswich Magistrates Court on Elm Street Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Ipswich Magistrates Court on Elm Street Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Sarah Lucy brown

A 35-year-old Ipswich man has been jailed for a string of thefts in the town after being stopped by a security guard while carrying a screwdriver and nail.

Aiden Flanigan of Moore Road, Ipswich, stole goods from Boots, the Co-op, McColls and Marks and Spencer of a period between early April and the end of May.

The items stolen included nearly £700 worth of perfume and aftershave and a razor valued at £99.

On May 31, Flanigan was stopped by a security guard outside Boots on Tavern Street when he was found to be carrying a screwdriver and nail.

He was arrested and charged with the numerous offences.

Appearing before Suffolk Magistrates’ Court in Ipswich on Saturday, June 2, Flanigan pleaded guilty to 11 thefts and an incident of going equipped.

He was jailed for 18 weeks.

The harrowing consequences of poor driving have been laid bare by a police chief who says he is sick of seeing the carnage it causes.

People are being warned of rail delays after police attended to an incident involving ‘disruptive passengers’ on a Greater Anglia service.

Most Conservative MPs from this region continue to support the Prime Minister in the face of the Brexit storm – but accept that the Parliamentary numbers make it difficult to see how the deal announced on Wednesday can get through.

Firefighters now believe a blaze above a high street shop in Ipswich was started deliberately.

Police have closed an armed robbery case after failing to identify a suspect.

As the country pulls together for Children in Need, one Ipswich business is raising funds by encouraging employees to bring a few cuddly friends to work.

An alcoholic accused of murdering a homeless man whose badly beaten body was found in the stairwell of a Colchester car park has told a court that the victim was still alive when he and his two co-defendants left him.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24