Donald Trump in secret RAF Mildenhall stop
- Credit: Instagram - @realdonaldtrump
Donald Trump made a secret flying visit to RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk en route to meeting North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Vietnam.
Air Force One touched down shortly before midnight last night and spent around an hour on the ground while the US President’s jet was refuelled.
White House staff posed with US Air Force crew next to the famous blue and white Boeing 747 but President Trump is understood to have stayed on board.
RAF Mildenhall is home to 3,100 American personnel and their families and is the US Air Force’s main refuelling base in Europe.
After stopping in Britain, Air Force One flew to Doha in Qatar where it refuelled again before flying non-stop to its final destination.
You may also want to watch:
President Trump is in the Vietnamese capital Hanoi to meet Mr Kim for a second meeting with the North Korean leader aimed at getting him to give up nuclear weapons in exchange for relief from sanctions hobbling his economy and better relations with the US and other nations.
They will have a private dinner on Wednesday evening and discussions on Thursday in the hope of building on an agreement they made at their first historic meeting in Singapore in June.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 8 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain