Airmen killed in horror crash named
TWO American airmen killed in a horrific crash in a Suffolk village have been named.
TWO American airman killed in a horrific crash in a Suffolk village have been named.
Staff Sgt Mark Stephany, 24, and Senior Airman Daniel Addabbo, 23, died in Saturday night's accident on the A1101 in Icklingham, near Bury St Edmunds.
Tributes have been paid to the men who were both assigned to the 48th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron at RAF Lakenheath.
You may also want to watch:
Col Jay Silveria, 48th Fighter Wing commander, said: “We extend our heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of Sgt Stephany and Senior Airman Addabbo.
“This loss is a significant one for their families, our Liberty Wing family, and the United States Air Force.”
- 1 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 2 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 3 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 4 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 7 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 8 Country inn acquired from Jamie Oliver's parents reopens following facelift
- 9 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
- 10 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
The accident involved a green BMW and a blue Nissan Primera with both men pronounced dead at the scene.
A female passenger in the blue Nissan suffered life-threatening head injuries while the driver of the Nissan had multiple injuries and is said to be in a critical but stable condition. Both are being treated at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge.
A passenger in the back of the Nissan is also in a critical but stable condition with multiple injuries and was under observation at West Suffolk Hospital. A two-year-old boy who was in the back of the Nissan suffered minor injuries.
Senior Airman Joseph Mann and Airman First Class Joseph Ross were also injured in the accident. Both were admitted to West Suffolk Hospital, Bury, following the accident and have been described as stable.
The cause of the accident is under investigation with base chiefs planning a memorial ceremony later this week.