Aldeburgh: High hopes for fire ravaged boatyard
A BOATYARD that was devastated by fire should be fully up and running in around two months time, its owner said last night.
Peter Wilson, managing director of the Aldeburgh Boatyard Company in Fort Green, said work on a new workshop was planned to start today.
The building was completely destroyed by fire in April last year.
Despite the set back the business has continued more or less as usual.
Suffolk Coastal District Council gave permission for a new workshop and offices to be built in August last year.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Wilson, who has been at the boatyard for more than 30 years, said work should start today with a view of completing the project by the middle of March.
“There’s not a lot to see at the moment,” he said. “Things have been progressing fairly slowly. It takes a long time to get everything organised.
- 1 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 2 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 3 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 4 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 5 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 8 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 9 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 10 Truck's four-figure repair fee at Colchester garage left unpaid
“However hopefully there should be something visible soon. When it is complete we will be having a celebration.”
Around 20 firefighters from Aldeburgh, Woodbridge, Orford and Leiston attended the blaze, which started in a wood burner.
Employees at the yard bravely fought to douse the flames, managing to save two boats before crews arrived.
An area of Aldeburgh was also cordoned off as a precaution after two liquid propane gas cylinders were discovered close to the blaze.
The local community rallied round to help Mr Wilson in his hour of need, donating tools and offering use of workshops. “That support has continued,” he said.