All the Witches in the hunt
SPEEDWAYIpswich Witches v Poole PiratesChallenge, tonight 7.30pmFoxhall StadiumBy Mike BaconEVERY current Ipswich Witch has a chance of a team place at Foxhall in 2010, according to team boss Pete Simmons.
Ipswich Witches v Poole Pirates
Challenge, tonight 7.30pm
You may also want to watch:
By Mike Bacon
EVERY current Ipswich Witch has a chance of a team place at Foxhall in 2010, according to team boss Pete Simmons.
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 3 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 4 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 5 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 6 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 7 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 10 Former Town loanee joins McCarthy's Cardiff side
Although the points limit will dictate, Ipswich's riders go into this evening's last home team meeting of the season - a challenge match against Poole - knowing they are all still in next season's plans.
“All the current team will be considered for next season, most definitely,” Simmons said.
“Our current average is a shade over 42 points and we will wait and see what the final outcome is.
“Of course we have riders not contracted to Ipswich and their parent clubs will have first say, but I think it is fair to say we would like to see Scott Nicholls, Troy Batchelor and Danny King all back with us next year.”
But while Simmons looks at the top end of the team, many fans feel it is in the reserve positions the Witches have been made to look ordinary this season.
Simmons admits it has been a concern.
“We have struggled at reserve all year, and losing Kozza Smith so early in the season didn't help,” he admits.
“Carl Wilkinson has done well for us as a doubling-up rider, and has always given 100%, while Dawid Stachyra has had some good meetings.
“Last season we had either Piotr Swiderski, Tobi Kroner or Steve Johnston at reserve, and we made the play-offs. It is important to have a strong rider in that position if possible.”
The Witches entertain Poole tonight, after last night's clash in Dorset was called off at lunchtime due to a waterlogged track. The re-staging is now next Wednesday, part of a double header of speedway at Wimborne Road, when Eastbourne are also in action.
French star Mathieu Tresarrieu, a national speedway and grasstrack champion, rides at No.2 for a Suffolk side who will be hoping to finish their final team fixtures of the season with victory.
Ipswich: Scott Nicholls, Matieu Tresarrieu, Troy Batchelor, Danny King, Robert Miskowiak, Dawid Stachyra and Carl Wilkinson.
Poole: Hans Andersen, Steve Boxall, Joe Screen, Matej Kus, Magnus Zetterstrom, Dawid Lampart and Artur Mroczka.
(N) JOIN Mike Bacon for Friday's webchat. www.lovespeedway24.co.uk and click webchat. It takes place between 12 noon and 1pm.